Saturday, June 24, 2023

A Lou Collins Mixed Media Case-sort of....

Hello crafty friends, I hope your weekend is off to a great start. We finally got some much needed rain. So happy about that.

I wanted to try a mixed media card following Lou Collin's tutorial and I needed a masculine birthday card. I'm not great with mixed media, but it sure was fun playing around and I'm pleased with my results for the most part. I'd tell how to make it, but most of you already know how most likely. Since I was hand delivering this card, I went ahead and used lots of foam tape. I should have used some white paint in my embossing paste, I didn't realize it was so transparent. I think I've only ever used it once and that was years and years ago. Thankfully it was still good, it just is hard to see in the photo. In real life, it shows up better. I do wish I would have left the sentiment all black, IRL it shows up better too.


I also have a giveaway that I'd like to send someone. 
I accidently bought two of these stamp sets, so please let me know if you would like to be entered into a drawing for this stamp set. It is a great stamp set for mixed media. I'd love to send it to someone if anyone wants it. This is what the stamp set looks like:



That's it from me, thanks for stopping by and seeing what I've been up to. I will be around to see you soon as well. 

Crafty hugs, 





Card Recipe:

2 Creative Memories Hexagon Punches-each punch has two different sizes of hexi's

Waffle Flower A2 dies to cut my panel down

Spellbinders s5-443 sentiment die set

My Creative Time Number Fun Dies & Add On, Type Background Stamp set

Maymay Made It Patina Stamp Set

Liquitext Flexible Modeling Paste-Gel medium from Hobby Lobby

Tim Holtz Mini Stencil THMS094

TH Stencil Burlap

Distress Oxides in Iced Spruce, Black Soot

Distress Inks in  Rusty Hinge, Dried Marigold

Hero Arts Ink in Black, Soft Granite
 
Gold and Silver gilding wax

Dollar Tree for the foam tape

Iridescent Watercolor Ink from an old Hero Art's Kit


15 comments:

Liz said...

Great card Brenda, I love the design and all the different textures.

As much as I would love to win this stamp set, please leave my name out of the draw. I know postage from the US to the UK is expensive. xx

Sue said...

Wow Brenda I'm loving this! I keep thinking I might dabble in to mixed media as I watch other's doing it but I'm a bit wary LOL but your's is fab!!! lots of hugs Sue x I would love to be in your drawer for the stamps but as I'm in the UK it's not fair on the postage..xxx

Carol L said...

You did this mixed media so well Brenda! I love those colorful hexagons with that great background and the subtle colors look fabulous! I like the silvery sentiment with the hint of black just the way it is! NJ!! That's so generous of you to offer a stamp set but unfortunately I'd have no use for it since I wouldn't know where to begin with mixed media! May your kindness be returned to you dear friend! Enjoy your weekend! Hugs! (I had to snicker, my neighbor calls her dog MayMay) LOL

jimlynn said...

Well, I, for one, LOVE THIS! This is so different from what you usually do and I think you nailed it and wouldn't change a single thing about it. It's a perfect masculine card and yes, I LOVE THIS!
I'll have to check out that tutorial as I have a stamp that may work for something similar. I'll also throw my name in the hate to win the giveaway! What fun - and thanks.
Lynn

I Card Everyone said...

Brenda, I don't know one single thing about Mixed Media but I know when I like something - your card is fantastic!

Love the layers of interest and have no trouble seeing that embossing paste - of course you know I'm loving the gray, right - and how you've arranged the hex shapes!

Your generous prize belongs with someone who will use it best but it sure is a good one - no wonder you got two!
=]

Nstiz said...

WOW WOW WOW! No clue how you made this but it's outstanding mixed media work. Love your color choices too. I have not done mixed media for a few years and this is one of the best works I've seen as well as visually appealing. Which I could have watched you do this. It's GREAT!

Loll said...

Your mixed media card is AWESOME, Brenda. I LOVE all the elements and the fabulous colours. Great work!! xx

kiwimeskreations said...

A wonderful card Brenda - love how you have all the textures there behind the fabulous hexagons - a fantastic piece of mixed media!!
I would love the stamps, but the postage to New Zealand is horrific, so I will say don't include me.
Blessings
Maxine

Bonnie said...

What a great job of using mixed media, Brenda! I love the background and the way you've done and arranged the hexagons! I hope you try this again soon!

Maria said...

Oh, what a fab mixed media card! Such a wonderful background with awesome texture and great way to arrange the hexagons! Beautiful colors, too!

Sue - said...

What a great mixed media card Brenda. How kind of you to offer the stamp set to someone , but please leave me out of the draw. xx

Irish Cherokee said...

Mixed media isn't for everyone but you did an exceptional job with this one. It may not be the same as in person but it is still a great photo. Love it.

Hugs and Blessings

nancy littrell said...

TFS your mixed media designed card, Brenda. You used the stamp set beautifully. I have a couple sets that are very similar, but very generous of you to offer the set as a prize:-) I so appreciate your comments on my blog:-) Love and Hugs...Nancy

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I LOVE your card and wonderful design Brenda, I also really like the shaded sentiment. Super masculine design and a beautiful too. A incredible set of stamps too, for a lucky lady.
Faith x

JD/ Jill said...

I liked your mixed media card! I wouldn't know here to begin yo make a card like that!